Fitness Giant is your partner in fitness and we invite you to use the information on this page to help you maintain a healthier lifestyle.
The Great New Sport of CrossFit
CrossFit is a buzz word on the lips of many fitness enthusiasts all over the world. It was born in the mid 90's when Californian gymnast Greg Glassman and wife Lauren opened the first CrossFit gymnasium. Their initial goal was training a police department - not surprisingly CrossFit became popular amongst the service men and women such as the police, firefighters and the military, and this continues to this day.
The CrossFit philosophy of 'constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement' rapidly grew, resulting in the thousands of CrossFit gyms currently spread across the USA and the World.
The beauty of CrossFit is that it is aimed at everyone and anyone - no matter what their fitness level or goals. It's not just a fitness program, it's a sport - the sport of fitness. Whilst CrossFit is often referred to as a strength and conditioning program based on varied functional movements performed at high intensity, the intensity level is customised to the individual - taking into account age, fitness level and experience.
Some of the many benefits of CrossFit are as follows:-
1) The variety of CrossFit means that it prepares people for physical activities in everyday life. The emphasis is on good performance in every task imaginable.
2) Gaining overall fitness by improving strength, endurance, flexibility, power, stamina balance, speed, co-ordination,mental focus, agility, motivational peaks and will power.
3) Following a healthy lifestyle with regards to diet and nutrition.
4) Varied exercises and varied equipment. Many gym users do the same routines and workouts over and over again, which is boring and can reduce results. With CrossFit the variety is unlimited. From gym favourites such as Kettlebells and medicine balls to previously non-conventional training aids such as ropes and wagon tyres - CrossFit has incorporated anything that can create new movements and methods.
5) Three element Workout of the Day (or 'WOD' as they are commonly referred to) which include nine exercises or movements, three in each of the elements. The elements are squats, presses and deadlifts - but there any many variations of each. The workouts are often timed, thus giving a benchmark for progression and comparison with fellow competitors.
These are just a few of the present benefits of CrossFit, and these will only increase with the evolution and growth expected year on year. You can find out more information about this great emerging sport on the CrossFit website - be sure to check it out.
Take part in Fitness Challenges against people from all over the World.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Ian_Worthington
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6579494